Thursday, June 05, 2008

Ignorance is NOT Bliss

It seems that lately Guatemalan adoption has become a somewhat hot topic. There was a very terrible incident in Mississippi where a two year old Guatemalan child was killed by one of her siblings. This caused a very big stir in the adoption community. This news deeply saddened me. News about children dying always makes me sad, because I know the deep love that I have for MY daughter, and how terribly lost and broken I would be without her. Today I received a comment on my blog, that was very distasteful. I have debated over whether or not I should publish it or not. I know this person is probably keeping their eye on this blog to see what I am going to do. I really did not want to dignify this person with a response, but because people's conception of adoption (particularly trans-racial adoption) has been weighing heavily on my mind, I am going to respond. Please refer to the comment that I received below:

"Are you going to kill your bought and enslaved Guatamalinan child too?...."
- Highly Ignorant and Angry Individual

First of all dear reader, Guatemalan is not spelled "Guatamalinan". Secondly, we did not buy our daughter, we adopted her. She is my life and my soul. She is the daughter that I have prayed for for MANY years. God did not grace me with a smooth pregnancy like many other women have, but he did bless me with my beautiful sweet little girl. The audacity of anyone to suggest what you have suggested is unthinkable to me. Probably because I do not have an evil heart like you do. Love does not have racial boundaries.

I have to stop myself though... the words of Eckhart Tolle keep ringing in my head "A peaceful mind brings change... An antagonistic mind only feeds the problem". So, dear reader, I wish you peace. May God ease your mind of whatever it is that troubles you and makes you lash out at a stranger. I hope that one day you are blessed with a family as wonderful and as happy as mine. Peace be with you. Always.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Jodi! Girl, way to go!! That comment SICKENS me to the CORE!! As the Momma of TWO Guatemalan children, I am HIGHLY offended by it! You were far more eloquent than I would have been. My reply would've been something along the lines of "DOES IT HURT TO BE THAT STUPID?!?!" FURY and RAGE!! But at the same time, some people aren't happy unless they inflict pain on others. May God bless them and show them how painful that comment was to more than just you!! (((HUGS)))

Much love -
Bamagirl!!

JoeC said...

Change is hard, and it makes people uncomfortable, and that always seems to bring out the comment trolls, and provide an opportunity for flexing your peace muscles...way to flex 'em!