Okay, so it looks like pictures may be late this time. So, in the mean time as a means of keeping you entertained, and keeping myself busy, I will take this time to give you guys a little "adoption sensitivity" training. Now, before you read on, let me make a disclaimer. It is kind of hard for me to be sensitive about writing on the subject of sensitivity, so just bear with me. I know, it is not everyday that people adopt, so it is just natural for others to be interested, and to want to be involved. Below is a list of questions or comments that we have gotten. Most of them are well meaning, but some of them I just have to wonder "why did they say that?" The comments are in blue, and our unspoken responses in pink.- You know, now you are going to get pregnant, that ALWAYS happens when people adopt. Well, no actually we decided to go on the pill, so we are 99.9% sure that we will not be getting pregnant. We can't afford to put 4 kids through college.
- What if you get her home and she is short and fat? Well, MOST babies are short and fat! I would be a little worried if she wasn't. Ana will be loved no matter what size she is.
- Does she have a good doctor? What if you get one of those "hole in the heart babies"? Hmm... let me think about that... Wow! That never occurred to me! Maybe we can go get her checked out with the same doctor that evaluated that hole in your head!
- Wow! It's like you are having your own! She IS going to be our own! No, I mean like from your body! Well, if I were to be popping one out of my body, I would know somewhat when she was going to get here, and I would know exactly how old she would be when she were here! I wouldn't be missing out on a second of her life. Oh well, at least I didn't put on 90 pounds! (Like that really matters).
- She will probably be crawling before you get her! Yes, and we missed it! Thanks for pointing that out.
- Do you have any REAL children? No.. the other two are imaginary.
- When is she going to get here? Okay, now honestly, this is a very thoughtful question, and it is appreciated, the truth is, we really don't know. That all depends on how quickly our lawyer in Guatemala can jump through the hoops.
- When are you going to get more pictures? This one is directed to my loving mother! Hi Mom! Love you! We still don't have any pictures, but will post them as soon as we do! We want pictures too!
- Wow! Just like Angelina Jolie! Well, I always thought I was better looking than Angelina (and a little less strange), but Thanks! Although, we are not adopting in order to obtain that "rainbow family" or anything, we are not being charitable, or "collecting kids". We just want a baby, not a puppy.
- How much does it cost to buy a baby? Actually, we are not "buying a baby" the money that we are putting towards our child goes to cover medical expenses, lawyers fees and keeping her fed and in diapers. So if you add it all up, we are only spending a fraction of what she is worth, which is priceless.
I really hope no one was offended by this post. It was really meant to be in jest. But yes, I know most of the time these comments were made with good loving intentions. We totally appreciate your friendship and your concern. Please keep praying that Ana comes home soon!
3 comments:
Hey,
I checked through your list to make sure I hadn't asked any of the questions. I think I have asked 7&8 and 9 to be a smartie, but I am safe on the others. LOL
Maureen
That is okay Maureen, those are all forgivable sins. Just say 5 Hail MAry's, One Our father, and have a relaxing week, and all should be forgiven... (btw... I don't recall you saying any of them, and if you did, it would be okay)
Jodi, #9 is hilarious-you're response to it that is!! Of course you're prettier than Angelina Jolie!!
Post a Comment