Thursday, August 31, 2006

Jodi and The Janitor

As promised, I am going to share some of the "interesting happenings" that occur in my place of work. Warning... what you are about to read is NOT a comedy. This was an actual conversation held between myself and the Janitor at my building. Disclaimer: The opinions of the Janitor are not my own. I do not believe all janitors to have his opinions, or his ignorance. I'm just sharing an unbelievable exchange of words.

Janitor: You like babies don't you?
Jodi: Yes, I love babies.
Janitor: How come you don't have you none?
Jodi: Well, it is not always that simple for everyone.
Janitor: Somethin' wrong with you?
Jodi: No.
Janitor: Well how come you can't have no babies?
Jodi: Well, it is not that I can't. I have already had two miscarriages, and we opted to adopt rather than to go through the pain of another miscarriage.
Janitor: Where you adopting from? You adopting from here, or you getting one of them foreign babies?
Jodi: We are adopting from Guatemala.
Janitor: Why can't you adopt from here there are lots of babies here that need a mama.
Jodi: I realize that, but we just didn't we didn't want to risk having the mother come back and claim her baby. Plus it takes too long.
Janitor: what's wrong with her mother?
Jodi: Nothing.
Janitor: You know them babies are stold.
Jodi: They have DNA tests to prevent that kind of thing.
Janitor: They sell them too.
Jodi: Well that is an issue with the mother, you can not punish the child for the mothers bad choice.
Janitor: There is a problem with all them foreigners comin' in.. I just don't like it, all them Mexicans taken our jobs.
Jodi: I love the Mexicans, I don't have a problem with them at all. They are very poor and they are only looking to feed their families.
Janitor: (Pointing at a picture of my baby) There is killin' in their blood. All them Iraqis blowin up things they are born to kill.
Jodi: Well I disagree I think killing is learned.
Janitor: Look at her, she don't even look like you, she is going to know you are not her mama.
Jodi: I will be her mama! She has two mothers. She will be well aware that she had another mother that loved her very much.
Janitor: Well it just aint right, you know all them Iraqis comin' down here, there aint no Americans than own no gas stations.
Jodi: Well, you know we do get a lot of our oil from Iraq. It really makes sense to me.
Janitor: Well that just aint right.
Jodi: Well, you have a right to your opinion, and I have a right to mine.

UNBELIEVABLE!!! The sad thing is that he had many more annoying comments, I just can't remember them right now. Why I shared so much personal information with him, I haven't a clue. I guess I was just feeling a little charitable that day. Needless to say, I avoid him now. Maybe not the best solution, but it works for me.

2 comments:

erinberry said...

What ignorance! Man oh man.

Anonymous said...

Sad to say but probably he is one of the more educated there. It is sad most people are not considering how WORDS can hurt and I know it was not easy for you to hear. God gives you wisdom just as here to handle those people. Maybe the whole thing is this "You enlightened him a little in his dark world."
Ana's Mama's, MOM